Your Money

The considerations here are no different from those mentioned with reference to Australia. The need to have easy access to your funds at little or no cost is important everywhere in the world.

This subject is fully explored in the book "How to Retire in Canada" by Les Johns available from this site. The links provided in the "Resources" tab of this site will also be useful and time saving.


Again the situation with regard to Pensions is the same as has been reviewed with respect to Australia. An additional problem for those moving from Australia is that there will have to be references to CentreLink. This is the organisation with offices all over the country which deals with all matters of social security payments including the payment of age pensions. It is present in even very small towns and has multiple offices in the capital cities of Australia. Many of the rural or outback offices find it difficult to deal with the more complex matters such as shareholdings and deeming rules.

The larger administrative hubs of CentreLink are also spread across the capital cities. There is a problem of co-ordination among this widely spread concern because certain offices "specialise" in particular aspects of its responsibilities.

The Hobart, Tasmania office deals with "international" matters and one can learn from there that an Australian age pension can be paid almost anywhere in the world. What will not always be volunteered is the fact that international payments are made upon a four week cycle rather than the two week period that is normal in Australia. Also not commonly offered is that a pension will not be paid to an overseas bank unless the recipient states clearly and in writing that the intention is to reside overseas for at least a year.This can easily result in a pensioner, having moved abroad, finding that even though, apparently, all necessary forms and formalities have been completed no payments are forthcoming. Given also that the department's toll free overseas telephone numbers do not always work it easy to see that a person can become frustrated, angry and financially embarrassed.

The British Pension Service, part of the Department for Works and Pensions, is, compared with the Australian CentreLink, easy to deal with by telephone or by letter. There is a reluctance to deal with or comment upon anything of a confidential nature over the telephone and this even more the case when e-mail communication is used. The Department's web site is not easy to follow but in writing, by letter, communication is concise and accurate. There is no hesitation in providing information, all forms that may need to be completed and any explanatory publications, booklets or pamphlets that may be available.

The situation with respect to one vital point so far as the British pension is concerned is that it is the same for Canada as it is for Australia. The British pension is frozen for Canadian residents at the rate at which it was first received or at the rate being paid at the time of migration to Canada.

This point is covered fully in the book"How to Retire in Canada" by Les Johns which can be bought directly from this site.

Other Income

All information that was relevant to Australia is also pertinent for Canada. Look above for the same "Other Income" in the Australian page.

Again the links at the "Resources" tab on this site and the book "How to Retire in Canada" by Les Johns, which can be bought directly from this site, will prove a time saver in your research.